Arrange a viewing
The lettings market tends to move very quickly, (particularly in Canary Wharf) so once you have seen a property that that fits your criteria, it’s important that you arrange a viewing or send your interest as soon as possible.
Making an offer
Once you have decided which property you would like to place an offer on, we will forward it to the landlord for consideration. Providing the landlord accepts your offer you will be required to pay a holding deposit which will be used towards your move-in funds.
Before the contract is agreed, a third-party referencing company will be used to confirm that you are a suitable tenant. This can take up to 36 hours. To pass the reference check there are some conditions you need to meet:
• You must be on a permanent employment contract or on one that is longer than your tenancy agreement, or in a full-time position.
• Your basic salary must be three-times bigger than the rent.
• If you are self-employed you must have an accountant and have held this status for more than six months.
• Should you fail to pass the reference check then you can appoint a UK guarantor - such as a family member who meets the above criteria. They will sign the contract and be liable for missed rent payments.
Students are required to pay six to twelve months rent in advance and a damage deposit.
This applies to all tenants (except students) and includes:
• The first month's rent in advance
• A damage deposit
You will only be given the keys to your property once these funds have been cleared.
At Vanet we accept a bank transfer made three to five days in advance of your move-in date, cash or a bankers' draft, which must be brought into our office and paid in person. Credit and debit cards are not accepted for move-in funds.
Before you move in to your property, an inventory will be carried out by a third party. This reports the condition of the property and all of its contents.
Within fourteen days of receiving your damage deposit, it will be registered with a client money protection scheme. At Vanet we use the Tenancy Deposit Service.
Once you have moved into your property you will be introduced to your Property Manager who is your first port of call should you have any questions about your tenancy or maintenance repairs.
Your Tenancy Agreement will outline your responsibilities, here are a few examples below.
• Pay your rent on time
• Keep the property clean and in good order
• Report any damage or maintenance issues to your property manager as soon as possible